JACQUE COE, APR
(425) 351-0082 (C)
PROFILE: Senior communications professional with experience in strategic communications, public relations, executive leadership, public affairs, project management, crisis management, branding, media relations, social media, diverse audiences and personnel issues. Success in planning and execution of strategic vision within scope and budget. Career traits include strong teamwork and executive leadership skills, collaboration, creativity, ability to work under extreme pressure in a fast-paced environment, and rapid advancement through promotions. Nationally accredited by Public Relations Society of America (PRSA). Terrific sense of humor.
COMMUNICATIONS PARTNER (Temporary Consultant), Group Health, Seattle, WA (8/2016-Present)
Serving as consultant for projects relating to IT and internal staff engagement in support of Group Health brand, goals, change management and integration planning for acquisition by Kaiser Permanente.
CHIEF COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER, Seattle Public Schools, Seattle, WA (4/2015-4/2016)
Responsible for setting overall communications strategy using the district’s Strategic Plan. Responsible for developing an overall communications strategy, including internal and external communications, media relations, social media and broad-based community engagement that builds understanding and goodwill externally and internally for the Seattle Public Schools and its students. Acts as chief brand manager to ensure consistency and direction of district image, identity and message.
• Developed bargaining messages and strategies to help mitigate impacts of a week-long teachers strike.
• Established a video production focus in communications to support social and mobile engagement.
• Worked to coordinate a web refresh project to enhance stakeholder user experience.
SENIOR DIRECTOR OF STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS, Dairy Farmers of Washington, Lynnwood, WA (9/2014-3/2015)
Responsible for overall comprehensive strategic communications both internally and externally. Develop and oversee marketing communications, including traditional and social media programs, across multiple platforms and audiences to drive consumer confidence in dairy products and farming to increase demand and sales.
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT, Bellevue School District, Bellevue, WA (7/2010-9/2013)
Responsible for the Bellevue School District’s communications and community engagement initiatives including outreach to diverse populations, media relations, policy and strategic initiatives. Serve as consultant to Superintendent, Cabinet, School Board, and schools. Serve as District spokesperson and Superintendent’s representative. Member of the Superintendent’s Cabinet (Executive Management Team).
• Re-organized Communications division personnel to create strategic communications focus.
• Overhauled web site and developed new format; boosting traffic to front page by 125%.
• Developed district’s advisory committee process for public engagement in decision-making.
• Key leader for strategic planning, boundary review, superintendent search and policy efforts.
• Developed extensive superintendent entry plan of 45 stakeholder meetings over four weeks.
• New media relations strategy secured 59 positive and 0 negative news stories in the last year.
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR, Washington’s Lottery, Olympia, WA (3/2004-7/2010)
Responsible for the strategic internal and external communications and public relations functions of the state lottery. Launch and manage top-level image and message work to reinforce Lottery brand and consumer product sales. Direct major initiatives such as beneficiary and winner awareness and stakeholder outreach. Serve as primary agency spokesperson. Oversee internal and external communications including crisis planning and response. Provide key policy perspective and legislative support. Oversee external PR agency. Liaison to Governor’s Communications Office. Member of Governor’s Work Group on New Media. Member of Lottery Executive Management Team.
• Promoted within first 90 days to lead Communications division.
• Drafted Lottery’s first social media policy.
• Dramatically raised publicity rate of Lottery winners through new strategy and execution.
• New strategy sparked first increase in public perception research of winners in six years.
• Led the most successful public relations promotions in Washington Lottery history.
• Directed stakeholder outreach resulting in improved relationship with key audience.
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS, Alliance for Education, Seattle, WA (1/1999-5/2003)
Direct the marketing, communications, and public relations functions for fast-growing Seattle non-profit organization. Responsible for planning and execution of targeted market strategy, messaging, and brand development to generate awareness and increase private giving. Develop and oversaw all external publications and promotional materials. Oversee promotions for major events. Manage advertising campaigns and development of organization web site. Manage media relations and serve as agency spokesperson. Manage communications committee of Seattle-area marketing, advertising, and public relations executives.
• Oversaw pro-bono audience analysis research that shaped organization’s strategic plan.
• Drove redesign of new brand, messaging and identity, resulting in new image and audience awareness levels for organization.
• Credited with audience awareness levels of 49% among general public and 59% among parents in an eight-year-old organization. Realized additional 10% increase in awareness levels in first year of position.
• Formulated new approach to publications which resulted in a 50% direct return-on-investment from unrestricted donations.
• Successfully procured over $1,000,000 in donations of vendor and media services.
• Key member of auction team which raised $1,000,000 in auction event. Second auction raised $900,000 in a slow economy. Procured top live auction item of $25,000 new vehicle.
NEWS PLANNING EDITOR, KING-TV, Seattle, WA (12/1996-1/1999)
Researched and planned daily and special news coverage for the #1 rated Seattle television news station. Coordinated news strategy with top-level news management team. Led daily planning for scheduling and staffing of news crews (over 80 staff) for daily news, major breaking news, special coverage events, and ratings period special reports. Researched, planned, and coordinated reports for special coverage, ratings projects, and major events. Coordinated coverage with network for local “tie-ins” to NBC Nightly News, Today Show, Dateline, and Oprah.
• Created successful strategy to secure exclusive local interview with Bill Gates.
• Expanded coverage of medical research, education, business, and minority issues.
• Recognized as critical member of news management team to ratings success.
ASSIGNMENT EDITOR, KREM-TV, Spokane, WA (4/1994-12/1996)
Planned daily television news coverage for CBS affiliate. Researched, developed, and assigned news stories, special reports, series and major events for staff of 40 reporters and photographers. . Coordinated strategy with News Director and Executive Producer as part of a three-member management team. Promoted from weekend producer. Proven success as assignment manager with ratings growth.
• Credited by newsroom staff with ‘raising the bar’ of level of quality journalism in newsroom.
REPORTER/ANCHOR, KIVI-TV, Boise, ID (3/1990-4/1994)
General daily assignment reporter and fill-in anchor for ABC affiliate. Specialized in court, crime, and political reporting. Live-shot reporter for major breaking news events. Regular fill-in anchor and producer for morning and weekend anchors. Fill-in assignment editor.
• Created first press award in western US for ethical decision-making in journalism.
NEWS DIRECTOR, KCBY-TV, Coos Bay, OR (9/1987-3/1990)
Managed news operation of Oregon Coast CBS affiliate. Oversaw daily news coverage, staff assignments, and story production. Main anchor for daily evening newscasts, special reports, and major events. Coordinate all news coverage and daily live cut-in reports with Eugene station.
• Responsible for 35% ratings increase within first six months; sustained until departure.
NEWS DIRECTOR, KQCD-TV, Dickinson, ND (9/1986-6/1987)
Managed news operation of southwest North Dakota NBC affiliate. Oversaw daily news coverage, staff assignments, and story production. Main anchor for evening newscasts and special reports. Coordinated news coverage and daily live cut-in reports with Bismarck station.
• Responsible for 4% increase in ratings within the first six months.
Eastern Washington University–B. A. Communications-Radio/TV News
Accredited in Public Relations (APR)-Public Relations Society of America
Certificate in Public Participation-International Association of Public Participation (IAP2)
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS & AWARDS:
PRSA National–Chair, APR Marketing Committee
PRSA Puget Sound Chapter–Board of Directors, VP-Membership